I’ve been running for about four years now and it is safe to say that it is my addiction, but one I’m not ashamed of. I started with a goal of running one mile without stopping and here I am, today, running full marathons. Anyone can become a runner! It just takes determination, perseverance, patience, and a game plan.
My game plan was as follows:
1. Set small, achievable goals for yourself so that you do not become overwhelmed and want to give up. My first goal was to run one mile without stopping. After I reached my one mile goal and felt comfortable running one mile, I increased it to two miles. By the time I was running four miles that’s when I felt that I could run any distance after that.
2. Run at a comfortable pace, but when you feel tired/winded DO NOT WALK! Take your run to a slow jog, catch your breath, and then go back to your original pace. The reason I say don’t walk is because your body/lungs will not become conditioned to running non-stop.
3. BREATHE! We all breathe without even thinking about it, but we don’t always breathe the “right way.” What I mean by the right way is to take in a nice deep breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. This is so very important so that you can continue to run without overexerting yourself because you’re not getting enough oxygen throughout your body. Breathing properly was difficult for me at first, but when you consciously breathe that way and tell yourself to eventually it comes naturally.
4. Stay hydrated. Drink water before and after your run, and sometimes in the middle of your run if you choose to carry a water bottle with you. Staying hydrated is not just for the time you want to run, though, it is best to drink plenty of water throughout your whole day.
5. If you listen to music make sure you have music on that gets you motivated and wanting to move! My playlist definitely keeps me going. I change my music every so often so that I don’t get bored with it. It really helps!
With these steps you can start your way towards becoming a runner! If you have any questions and/or comments, I’d be happy to answer them!
About the Author, Yumn:
Yumn is a single mother of two healthy and beautiful children, MashaAllah. She’s a marathon runner. She has her own blog here: irunwoman.blogspot.com .